Sunday, May 1, 2011

Blog 4A



I would like to summarize both fail and learn

Fail is the first I would like to address. I know that they are trying to be frank about how we think too much about how one’s ambition is hindered by others and how they think of their work. But I cannot help but think that they used the wrong word to try and convince people. Fail automatically gives off a negative connotation and a sense of hopelessness. To fail is to give up and maybe try again, but that chance is unlikely. They could have used “Try” or some other synonym of the word but “Fail” seems too final. I know what the author is trying to say but he just didn’t hit the mark with this.

The second I would like to address it “Learn”. I was somewhat confused about this short article because in the beginning he seemed like he was unhappy with the school system and how they are teaching kids the wrong things. But in this article, he is saying the opposite. What I do not think he took into context was that there is a purpose to the silly math problems that the teacher had us do. Those problems are the beginning points to helping kids find out what they want to do in life. I know that I do not like math, but there are some aspects of it that I do really enjoy, such as trig and finding out what “x” is. These math problems are more puzzles than they are necessary to some peoples lives but if I ever wanted to know when train A is going to be 50 miles ahead of train B then I would know how to figure that out.

Overall I did not really like this article. I thought he seemed rather cynical to the school system and a bit bitter that he didn’t get to do what he wanted. I also don’t think he took into account, if it wasn’t for a school system and a kid that was kept in line, he would not be posting his thoughts online and be typing them on his computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment