Monday, May 30, 2011

Blog 10

http://changethis.com/manifesto/show/45.02.FreakFactor

There were three suggestions that I was not sure about. The first was about how one should not change the flaws that they have. I would think that there are some instances that one would have to change their flaws. If the flaws that you have are hindering the way you can progress as a person and a business owner, then it would be in your best interest to change that flaw. It doesn’t matter that you stay true to yourself if you have started many businesses but can’t keep them open because you are extremely rude to your customers or bring in bad merchandise because you are too cheap to buy good products. So I completely disagree with his notion of forgetting your flaws. Realizing and adapting your flaws help to make you grow into a better person.
I do like how he says that it is extremely difficult to fix your weaknesses and to build your strengths. I can completely understand where he is coming from when he says this. If a person tries to do both, they often are let down by then end product because they realize that they ended up accomplishing neither. His analogy of K-mart, Target and Walmart was a perfect example of this point. Even though I think that target is a bad example of the opposite of walmart (though I am not sure what would be a better equivalent) he demonstrated his point extremely well, and helped to bring his point to light to those who are not quite sure of what he means. From this manifesto, I learned many things. But the one that I never realized was that K-mart went bankrupt. This may be from the fact that I have one right by my house and many people I know still work there.
I think I liked his eighth point the best, mostly because it told you to be different. Though this point is extremely cliché, it makes most people feel better about themselves. It helps to bring hope to those who think that they are too weird to function in normal society. It also makes others jealous of the confidence that exudes from those who are dubbed “weird”. These are truly the people who do not care what “normal” society thinks of them. They do not try and change themselves for others and stay as true to themselves as they can. I admire them because I can’t help but be embarrassed when I have to admit that I play WoW. Or any of the other EXTREMELY nerdy things that I do, sometimes I wonder what I spend more time with, my computer or my friends. Normal society would say that it is bad I would have to question it. I just like to think I am getting more acquainted with the tools of my future trade. But even by brushing them off, I can’t help but feel ashamed that I might spend more time with an inanimate object.
I think I have found what it means to be creative for me. Unfortunately I still have a hard time trying to figure out what other people want or to make up original ideas. Though it is hard to thin of anything that is not already out, I would still like to be the one who things of a great idea and be recognized for it, just like everyone else. I think that is why I decided to specialize in digital media. I can make a great work of art with other great minds and though the main company would be recognized for it, I would still be in the team that made it.

1 comment:

  1. I also like the eighth point that is "The power of Uniqueness" .I think the uniqueness is also our talent and creativity. Normal definitely means nothing in media industry now. I think surviving in this area need us to be special and full of creativity. I strongly believe that uniqueness equal more opportunities.

    ReplyDelete